Saturday, June 1, 2013

Thinking about mortality

No, i'm not usually morbid, but the bombing in Serendra II made me think about "going home" again. We have no TV, so I probably wouldn't have learned about it had papa not texted me if I knew about the explosion. I work in Mckinley so he must have thought we've been informed about it since we were just 10 minutes away from where it happened 

According to the news, at around 8pm, unit 501 of Serendra II exploded causing a concrete wall to be thrown off and crushed an Abenson delivery van passing by, leaving the driver and its 2 passengers dead. It collided with another vehicle but the driver was unharmed. Others were injured - passersby and a tenant in the same building. 



This unfortunate event got me thinking, maybe for the driver and his passengers, it was just an ordinary day at work. Little did they know it was going to be their last day here. I was wondering, if this was supposed to happen and nothing can be changed about it, had they lived their last day differently? 

It sounds morbid yes, but I remember Father Orbos would usually say to treasure everyone you're with today because you'll never know, maybe next year, next month or tomorrow, you won't be with them anymore. He would tell the mass goers to think about the people they were with last year who are now gone. 

Most of the days, I wake up feeling bored thinking it's going to be another tiring day at work, not focusing on the fact that I was given another chance to see my loved ones and to be with them. I often get drowned with how busy I am, I often forget why I work and for who I work, and because I know that I can get away with not praying and just whispering "Lord, thank you for today. Sorry no quiet time, I'm so tired", thinking that I still have tomorrow to make up for it, I would often sleep prayerless.

What if one of my busy normal days, I die? Have I been doing the things that are really worth doing? Have I loved enough? Have I  served the Lord enough? Or did I just drown in the many things I thought were important? I hope not. I hope that everyday I be reminded that these are all temporary, and will fade away. 

So today, I promise to put my permanent blessings first over temporary ones - relationships over achievements, because it is true that when you pass you cannot take anything with you except your faith and the love you had. 

<Image from this link>


""Show me, LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is." - Psalm  39:4 NIV 




No comments:

Post a Comment